How To Use Your Voice Effectively
- Control and extend your breathing, to prevent a ‘gaspy in-breath’ between sentences
- Learn how to project appropriately for the space
- Develop vocal expressivity and pitch range
- Develop greater resonance and a richer tone
- Improve clarity
- Understand the impact of posture and gesture on voice and speech
- Develop a personalised voice warm up
- Keep your audience interested
- Read your story with ‘chunks’ of meaning and ‘vocal punctuation’
- Put stress and emphasis on the right words
- Escape the trap of repetitive ‘newsreader voice’
- Tell the story as it needs to be told
- Find the right vocal tone for your programme
- Sound like you mean what you say
Breathing exercises help you find a calm, resourceful state for presenting. Find a sense of ‘centre and personal power’.
Managing your physicality, autocue, scripts, eye-lines and the space around you. We can look at the difference between studio mics, lip mics and speaking to microphones outdoors.
Script Writing and Editing for Voice
Sometimes it’s the script that needs tweaking. The syntax may be too complex; there may be no places to pause and breathe. Sometimes the language just doesn’t sing. Learn skills to make the script compelling.
Accent Softening, Non-Native Speakers
Kate passionately believes that our accents are part of us. Anyone can learn to speak clearly whatever their accent. She can also help you improve your RP (Received Pronunciation). Kate has extensive experience with non-native speakers of English.
How It Works
In the Recording Booth
Sometimes the VO talent is already on the job and their voice/ narrative style needs help. Great progress can be made with narrators in the booth during the recording. This can be from 2 hours to a full day depending on your requirements.
One To One For Lasting Change, 6 hours minimum is recommended. It takes years to build up our voice and speech habits. Coaching needs commitment and time to build muscle memory and effective habits.
90 minute slots are ideal. Kate will negotiate if you prefer 60 minute sessions.
Contact Kate to find out more.